Storage units are great things. You can store almost anything in your unit, and nobody has to know what you’ve put in there. But, there are some things we recommend that you don’t put in any storage units because, well, it’s just not a good idea! In case you were wondering, here are some of the things that storage units just weren’t made for.
Avoid, Avoid, Avoid
To stay on the safe side, try not to put any of the following things inside of any storage units.
- Live Animals: you may laugh, but some people have been caught storing animals inside of units. Storage units can be quite comfortable if you rent a climate controlled one, and these units can be safe as well, but they’re just not ideal for pets. Please, keep your pets at home.
- Humans: if your husband is driving you nuts, you can tell him to go sleep on the couch – as long as that couch is not located inside of a storage unit! Humans shouldn’t be kept in storage lockers, no matter how bad he’s been.
- Perishable Food: so, self storage lockers can seem like ideal places to store that extra pantry, or to put your aunt’s really bad casseroles, but the truth is that putting anything perishable inside of a self storage locker isn’t a good idea – can you imagine the smells drifting from that unit after a few weeks? Yikes!
- Dangerous Chemicals or Substances: our self storage lockers are secured and protected around the clock, but that doesn’t mean that things can’t happen inside of your unit. If you place chemicals that are very dangerous in a self storage unit, they could tip over, leak, or spill. Once that happens, everything in your unit (and possibly in your neighbor’s unit) will be ruined.
- Illegal Items: okay, this one should be a no-brainer, but we’re going to go with it anyway. Do not store anything illegal in your unit. That’s all we’re going to say about that one!
- Extremely Valuable Antiques: if you don’t have anywhere else to store your antiques, we recommend purchasing a safe, and storing your stuff inside of that safe. However, it’s always best to store very valuable items in a bank safe or other enclosure. Why? Antiques can become ruined if they are not handled properly, or if they are left in extreme temperatures too long.
When In Doubt
If you aren’t sure what you can and can’t store, ask us! We’ve seen pretty much everything, and it’s our mission to make sure that anything you are storing is as safe as possible from any kind of harm. On the flip side, we do have a very long list of things that you can store in your unit, and you are more than happy to store almost anything you like! Just ask us first, in case you aren’t certain.
If you’ve ever watched the show ‘Storage Wars’ you’ve probably seen some odd things that people put in lockers, right? Well, so have we! But, the whole point of a storage locker is to store your items safe and securely, so make sure that the things you want to store will be safe inside of your locker. We also want to know: what’s the strangest thing that you’ve ever seen inside of a locker, and what do you wish that you could store? Let us know by leaving a message on this blog.
To rent a storage space from us, give us a call today for a free estimate!